Brainstorm potential Annual Priorities, map out a 4-quarter flyover plan, and easily convert ideas to goals
Why Use the Planning Canvas
The purpose of the screen is to help you brainstorm, visualize, and create your execution plan for the year. Create a blueprint for the year and see where you may have resource constraints or time challenges with your top Annual Priorities. Having this visual will help you identify and negotiate those potential obstacles as a team before the year starts.
How to Use the Planning Canvas
- Go to Team Annual Plan in the Execution Menu
- Click the Planning Canvas Tab
- Click the + in the top right to add ideas for Potential Annual Priorities
- Discuss and agree on the top 3-5 ideas in the list. Drag and drop to reorder the items
- Map out the potential Quarter Priorities you'll need to do to achieve the Annual Priorities successfully. Use the + to add potential Quarter Priorities for each Annual Priority
- Identify time constraints and quarters that are overloaded with too much work. Drag and drop potential Quarter Priorities to move them to a different quarter.
- Agree on the top 3-5 Annual Priorities and use the More Actions button to convert them to Annual Priorities. Be sure to fill in the Red-Yellow-Green criteria, owner, and start and end dates together so you will be aligned.
- You can also convert any potential Quarter Priorities to goals by clicking the More Actions button and choosing convert.
- You can click on the cards for the Potential Priorities to see the Linked Execution Goals associated with them if you create goals from here. You can click on those goals to work on the details.
Tip: Revisit this Planning Canvas in each of your Quarterly Planning sessions for the year to see how you are doing on your Annual Priorities. Things change, so you may need to edit or move things around, or you may want to convert some of the ideas into Quarter Priorities.