Document your Company's Core Purpose in Rhythm to ensure your team is aligned to a common reason for being.
What Core Purpose Is & Why It Matters
Your Core Purpose (which should last at least 100 years) should not be confused with specific goals or business strategies (which should change many times in 100 years).
Whereas you might achieve a goal or complete a strategy, you cannot fulfill a purpose; it is like a guiding star on the horizon—forever pursued but never reached. Yet although purpose itself does not change, it does inspire change.
The very fact that purpose can never be fully realized means that an organization can never stop stimulating change and progress.
Your Core Purpose will keep you on track as you make strategic moves, ensuring your team is aligned to a common reason for being. Knowing your Core Purpose will enable you to hire and retain the RIGHT people. It doesn’t just describe the organization’s output or target customers; it captures the soul of the organization.
How to Document Core Purpose
Note: If you don’t see Core Purpose in the left menu, you don’t have permission to edit these for your company. You can read them in the Strategy Summary.
- Under Strategy, choose Core Purpose in the left menu.
- Click in the top text box to add your Core Purpose.
- The text will automatically save if you click out of the box, or you can hit Save when you’re done.
- You can also click to add ideas you used to develop your Core Purpose to add context for your team.
- You can click to edit the text and add Comments or Attachments as needed.