At the end of every quarter, Rhythm Coaches provide their clients with a Rhythm Progress Report. The tool prompts some thinking. How good are we at using the Rhythm methodology? Are we truly living our strategy, or have we simply just filled in a text field on a form or in a piece of software? What do we need to work on?
In the Progress Report, several strategic topics and best practices are listed under the categories Think Plan Do®. Under Think is BHAG, Core Values, Brand Promise, etc. Plan includes having a Quarterly Plan in place and cascading to teams. Do lists the weekly adjustment meeting and accountability habits.
Coaches assign a color to each area to "grade" their clients' progress using this success criteria:
SuperGreen: Mastery of Rhythm Best Practices
Green: Adopting Rhythm Best Practices
Yellow: Working on It
With our focus on BHAG this quarter, below are some things we, as coaches, consider when evaluating a company's BHAG:
- Does your BHAG motivate people inside and outside of your company?
- Are you measuring progress toward a clear and specific destination, and does your team have a sense that you're moving forward?
- Can you see how the BHAG is being used to guide decisions?
- Is your BHAG big and hairy enough? Does it cause you to gulp?
- Does it have a 10-25 year time horizon and include a specific year for completion?
- Is your BHAG being measured? Will you know when you achieve it?
So, how would you Red-Yellow-Green your BHAG? If you are Green or SuperGreen, excellent work! If you are Yellow or Red, establish a Think Rhythm and continue to turn your flywheel one click at a time!