Leadership gurus all agree: establishing the right regular rhythms for your company is key. At Rhythm Systems, we believe the best way to manage sustainable growth is by deliberately setting three rhythms: Think, Plan, and Do.
With over 20 years of experience teaching our clients this methodology, we’ve seen proven results in:
- Stability and predictability. When everyone knows what to expect and when to expect it, it creates a helpful sense of stability and predictability amid your fast-paced and ever-changing business environment.
- Alignment. When there are clear rhythms to the way strategy is built and work is done, it’s easier to keep everyone aligned on your company's goals. This avoids confusion, duplicate efforts, and wasted time (and money).
- Learning opportunities. Regular check-ins and meetings provide opportunities for leaders to give and receive feedback. Leaders can identify areas where the team is succeeding and areas needing adjustment.
- Trust. Leaders who prove to be consistent and reliable build trust and rapport with their team members. This leads to a more cohesive, productive team.
- Employee health. Clear rhythms of work help to manage stress and burnout because employees know what to expect and when to expect it, which allows them to better manage their time and energy.
Think, Plan, Do®: 3 Rhythms for Strategic Execution
The Think, Plan, Do® methodology helps growing companies implement plans successfully. This simple yet powerful framework empowers company leaders to:
- Think about strategy
- Plan for execution
- Do the work
Here’s a glimpse into what these rhythms look like in action:
Rhythm #1: Think
The Think Rhythm is a regular process of strategic thinking that helps you stay ahead of the competition and meet present and future demands. It’s working ON your business, not IN it. It involves taking time out to understand the competitive landscape, analyze opportunities and threats, and brainstorm new revenue-generating ideas.
The Think Rhythm is essential for businesses of all sizes, but it is especially important if you’re growing rapidly or facing significant challenges. By taking a consistent approach to strategic thinking, leaders create an atmosphere of informed decision-making to power your growth.
Some of the benefits of the Think rhythm:
- Stay ahead of the competition
- Identify obstacles & challenges on the horizon
- Meet present and future demands
- Make informed decisions
How to implement the Think rhythm in your organization:
- Set aside regular time for strategic thinking
- Invite a variety of stakeholders to participate
- Use a variety of tools and techniques
- Make sure that strategic thinking is an ongoing process woven into the fabric of your organization
Rhythm #2: Plan
The Plan rhythm should occur annually and quarterly. It involves cascading priorities throughout your organization, aligning teams, and setting clear, measurable goals. This creates a roadmap for your teams to follow and ensures that everyone is on the same page.
Some of the benefits of the Plan rhythm:
- Organizational alignment
- Increased communication
- Improved collaboration
- Clearer, measurable goals
- Increased accountability
If you are looking to improve the productivity, collaboration, and accountability of your teams, then the Plan rhythm is the right next step following your Think rhythm. Combined, these rhythms ensure your teams are always working towards the same objectives and know where the company is going.
Rhythm #3: Do
The Do rhythm is the third piece to driving success. This is where your plans are executed and ongoing communication around your goals happens regularly. Individuals are doing the work, driving execution, and making necessary adjustments along the way.
The Do rhythm is essential for every week, every quarter, every year. It involves meeting regularly to discuss what needs adjustment and then working to identify solutions. Great meetings don’t happen by accident; they are fueled by each team member preparing ahead of time and coming to meetings with a decision-making mindset. Meeting time shouldn’t be spent on sharing updates, it should be spent collaboratively determining what’s needed to keep your most important goals on track for success.
Some tips for creating a successful Do rhythm:
- Schedule regular weekly meetings, with a clear agenda.
- Break down large goals into smaller, more manageable tasks.
- In your meetings, spend the majority of your time discussing items needing adjustment.
- Schedule regular check-ins with your team members.
- Celebrate your successes. This will help to keep you motivated and on track.
Get into the Rhythm of Think, Plan, Do®
By following the Think, Plan, Do® rhythms framework, teams can ensure they’re organized, efficient, and strategic. This simple, proven framework helps teams avoid costly mistakes while working to achieve their most important goals.
Check out these additional resources:
Photo Credit: iStock by Getty Images