People Lessons # 402
A few months ago I introduced our 2xPeoplePlan tool in a webcast. I asked everyone on the webcast to pick one person on their team that is an "A" player, and see if you can get 2x more output from them. How's it going?
Here is a tip that I observed as I have used this valuable tool with my clients and team. Most people have a psychological bias that says "if you are choosing me for coaching, I must be doing poorly." To use this tool effectively, you need to first get the person to reprogram his or her mindset. Reprograming mindsets is not an event. It is a process that builds on small victories and constant reinforcement. So let's see if these tips will help you:
- First, recall that this tool is to help you get more done with existing resources without them working excessively more. The person being coached needs to own the plan and the process. Own his or her own success.
- Start by sharing that you believe in investing in people who deliver you strong results. That your philosophy is similar to that of investing in stocks. Pick a good stock that is already making you money and invest further in it, versus picking a stock that is doing poorly and hoping that it will rise. So start by picking a person that is already successful, and sharing that with them.
- Then ask the person what they would like to accomplish that would deliver an even stronger contribution to the company, and ask how you can help.
- Use this tool to document the plan.
- Schedule a time to follow up and coach with questions - when you promised you would.
Best of luck as you work to get more output and results from your existing team without burning them out. Get more but not by working more. Rather, get more by working smarter - with coaching.
*Note that the 2x People Plan tool has been replaced by the Performance Coaching Tool!