How To Run Effective Weekly Staff Meetings with Team Meeting Agenda
Weekly Meetings Features From Rhythm Systems
- Spend 80% of Your Time Solving Problems at Weekly Meetings
- Meeting & KPI Dashboards for Team Accountability and Clarity
- Increase Visibility with Cross-Functional Priorities and Goals
- Real-Time In Context Collaboration
- Weekly Meeting Agenda Driven by Strategy
Tips for a Virtual Weekly Meeting With Work From Home Participants
Keep your remote employees aligned and engaged, even when they are working from home.
As more and more workers are asked to work from home we often get asked for our favorite tips and tricks to keep the entire virtual team engaged. Here are some of our favorite tips when using video conferencing software, such as Zoom or WebEx. These are just some of the highlights to get you started.
- Have all attendees turn on their video on their laptops, even if they are all in the same room. This is preferred to the single-camera view for the entire conference room so that remote attendees can see the faces and expressions of their co-workers to help better understand the non-verbal communication.
- Create a set of ground rules that work for your organization.
- Always introduce yourself when entering the meeting
- Use mute when you aren't speaking to minimize disruptions
- Have your cell phones on silent
- Always be present, don't allow for multitasking
- Ask your team what rules that they want to adhere to for your meetings
- Appoint someone to facilitate the meeting’s raised hand functions, create individual breakout rooms, run polls, etc. This is often best served by a person that is not facilitating the meeting. That way one person can concentrate on the content, while the other keeps an eye on the chat and hand-raising features of your video conferencing software.
- The video must be turned on for all participants, it needs to be the new normal. Once the team understands that video is a requirement they will make sure to dress business appropriately and have a clean background. Some services also allow for a virtual background so that you can focus on the participant.
- The "Brady Bunch" view, or the gallery view, should be the default view for your meetings. This view allows you to see everyone in the meeting, not just the person speaking. This helps the team feel more like a team and allows them to better read each participant's facial expressions.
- Keep people on track by keeping the team focused on the task at hand. Some customers like to use a timer, others like to self-police, choose what works best for your organization to limit time-wasting tangents.
- Call on people to ensure that you get participation from all team members. The people that don't speak up in typical meetings might need even more assistance during a virtual weekly meeting.
Here are some of our best resources to help make your virtual meeting a success:
Weekly Team Meeting Agenda Template
See how the Rhythm Strategy Execution Software fixes weekly meetings by automatically creating the weekly staff meeting agenda tied directly to your strategic initiatives.
Call it a Weekly Adjustment Meeting
Make them powerful problem solving and brainstorming meetings.
Weekly Staff Meeting Preparation is Key
Each team member should come prepared each and every week
Good preparation is key to spending the majority of your meeting on Adjustments rather than Status. You need to be able to identify your victories, determine what you're accountable for, talk about anything that has you stuck and plan for a successful week.
Every team member should hold themselves accountable to be prepared for each and every weekly staff meeting. They should read all of the reports submitted, gather all data required for the team and be ready to discuss the most important issues facing your department and organization. Read this excellent article to learn how to build accountable leaders and teams.
Refer to the Meeting with Myself Tool to learn the proper agenda to prepare for a team meeting. Ensure that the team commits to this standard process for preparation. There are 4 easy steps to fixing your weekly team meeting and putting in a little effort pays big dividends each and every week. As an example, it will take some time to implement a new process at work, why not work on it every week?
Appoint a Weekly Meeting Facilitator
Rotate to keep everyone experienced.
Create a Weekly Team Meeting Agenda Template
Use this agenda week after week.
It isn’t just having an agenda; it is about having the right weekly staff meeting agenda. One of the biggest mistakes that cause bad meetings is the lack of an agenda or getting it two minutes prior to the meeting. The agenda should be sent well ahead of time and cover all of the areas that the company needs to discuss in order to grow their business. If you need some staff meeting agenda ideas you'll find our weekly staff meeting template below that you can adjust to fit your team's needs.
The team meeting agendas for each of your teams should include all of the steps that you need to take when getting together with your team, whether in a formal or informal setting. Make sure that the mood fits your company culture and everyone knows that they are coming to the meeting expecting to do work and solve problems. Make sure that you have time for the staff to add an agenda topic that they need to work with the team on.
Here's our recommended weekly team meeting agenda:
Always start your staff meeting with good news.
- This can be personal or work related. Starting off with good news sets the right tone for an effective weekly adjustment meeting and gets the creative juices flowing. This agenda item is a good time to praise other staff members that went the second mile for a client or displayed a fundamental core value of your company.
Go through the company’s
KPIs, or Key Performance Indicators.
- These are the vital metrics that tell the story of how your company is doing. Create a KPI dashboard to drive the right conversations and to let you know when you need to make adjustments to achieve your goals. Visit our KPI Resource Center to find plenty of specialized KPI examples, such as manufacturing KPI examples, employee KPI examples, customer KPI examples, manufacturing production KPIs and sales KPIs that drive growth.
Talk about the progress the team has made against the company’s priorities (quarterly rocks) and key objectives.
- Priorities are the specific actions that you are taking as a company to help it increase revenue, improve efficiency or help conquer your market. Your company should be working on three to five priorities for each quarter to have enough team energy to see them through to completion. If you use OKRs, or Objectives and Key Results, you should use those here.
Share your individual focus for the week.
- What does a successful week look like for you? Do you need any assistance from any other team members to get that accomplished? Is your focus aligned with the business objectives for the week? Are you ready to hold yourself accountable?
Discuss your customers, both internal and external.
- What type of feedback have you received? Are there victories and bright spots that can be shared across the company? Are there any customers that need a follow up from a manager? What are they dealing with that you can solve for them?
Review your parking lot.
- A parking lot is a storage area for items that need to be further explored but weren’t germane to the topic being discussed at the time. Parking lots are an effective way to keep meetings on track and should be used by your weekly meeting facilitator. Keeping a spot for these items, and making sure you go back to them to get them resolved, is a key strategy for keeping weekly meetings focused.
See How the Rhythm Software helps you run effective weekly meetings:
Now Stay in an Effective Meeting Rhythm
Establishing the right meeting rhythms with your executive team is key.
Many executive leadership teams spend several hours per week in meetings together. When you consider the salaries and the many other demands on their time, you want to be sure you are having effective weekly meetings every week! The only way you'll reach your Big Hairy Audacious Goal (BHAG) is to have the perfect Rhythm of meetings.
Make sure you establish a habit of doing everything possible to only having meetings that add value. Keep them future-focused, do not give status updates, that is the past. Have discussions that lead you to make the necessary adjustments to achieve the company plan. Now that you have a staff meeting agenda template, make sure that you actually use it!
One of the best ways to increase the effectiveness of your meetings is to appoint a great weekly team meeting facilitator. A great meeting facilitator will help you make sure that every voice gets heard, that action items are captured and that the meeting stays on track following the agenda. You can learn new facilitations skills with our free weekly meeting facilitation guide: 3 Steps to Ensure Your Meeting Will Be A Success.