How To Run Effective Weekly Staff Meetings with Team Meeting Agenda
Weekly Meetings Features From Rhythm Systems
- Spend 80% of Your Time Solving Problems at Weekly Meetings
- Meeting & KPI Dashboards for Team Accountability and Clarity
- Increase Visibility with Cross-Functional Priorities and Goals
- Real-Time In Context Collaboration
- Weekly Meeting Agenda Driven by Strategy
Call it a Weekly Adjustment Meeting
Make them powerful problem solving meetings.
Weekly Meeting Preparation is Key
Have a meeting with yourself.
Good preparation is key to spending the majority of your meeting on Adjustments rather than Status. You need to be able to identify your victories, determine what you're accountable for, talk about anything that has you stuck and plan for a successful week.
Every team member should hold themselves accountable to be prepared for each and every weekly staff meeting. They should read all of the reports submitted, gather all data required for the team and be ready to discuss the most important issues facing your department and organization. Read this excellent article to learn how to build accountable leaders and teams.
Refer to the Meeting with Myself Tool to learn the proper agenda to prepare for a team meeting. Ensure that the team commits to this standard process for preparation. There are 4 easy steps to fixing your weekly team meeting and putting in a little effort pays big dividends each and every week.
Appoint a Weekly Meeting Facilitator
Rotate to keep everyone experienced.
Create a Weekly Team Meeting Agenda
Use this agenda week after week.
It isn’t just having an agenda; it is about having the right weekly staff meeting agenda. One of the biggest mistakes that cause bad meetings is the lack of an agenda or getting it two minutes prior to the meeting. The agenda should be sent well ahead of time and cover all of the areas that the company needs to discuss in order to grow their business. The weekly meeting agenda includes all of the steps that you need to take when getting together with your team, whether in a formal or informal setting. Make sure that the mood fits your company culture and everyone knows that they are coming to the meeting expecting to do work and solve problems.
Here's our recommended weekly team meeting agenda:
Always start your staff meeting with good news.
- This can be personal or work related. Starting off with good news sets the right tone for an effective weekly adjustment meeting and gets the creative juices flowing. This agenda item is a good time to praise other staff members that went the second mile for a client or displayed a fundamental core value of your company.
Go through the company’s
KPIs, or Key Performance Indicators.
- These are the vital metrics that tell the story of how your company is doing. Create a KPI dashboard to drive the right conversations and to let you know when you need to make adjustments to achieve your goals. Visit our KPI Resource Center to find plenty of specialized KPI examples, such as manufacturing KPI examples, employee KPI examples, customer KPI examples, manufacturing production KPIs and sales KPIs that drive growth.
Talk about the progress the team has made against the company’s priorities (quarterly rocks) and key objectives.
- Priorities are the specific actions that you are taking as a company to help it increase revenue, improve efficiency or help conquer your market. Your company should be working on three to five priorities for each quarter to have enough team energy to see them through to completion. If you use OKRs, or Objectives and Key Results, you should use those here.
Share your individual focus for the week.
- What does a successful week look like for you? Do you need any assistance from any other team members to get that accomplished? Is your focus aligned with the business objectives for the week? Are you ready to hold yourself accountable?
Discuss your customers, both internal and external.
- What type of feedback have you received? Are there victories and bright spots that can be shared across the company? Are there any customers that need a follow up from a manager? What are they dealing with that you can solve for them?
Review your parking lot.
- A parking lot is a storage area for items that need to be further explored but weren’t germane to the topic being discussed at the time. Parking lots are an effective way to keep meetings on track and should be used by your weekly meeting facilitator. Keeping a spot for these items, and making sure you go back to them to get them resolved, is a key strategy for keeping weekly meetings focused.
Now Stay in an Effective Meeting Rhythm
Establishing the right meeting rhythms with your executive team is key.
Many executive leadership teams spend several hours per week in meetings together. When you consider the salaries and the many other demands on their time, you want to be sure you are having effective weekly meetings every week! The only way you'll reach your Big Hairy Audacious Goal (BHAG) is to have the perfect Rhythm of meetings.
Make sure you establish a habit of doing everything possible to only having meetings that add value. Keep them future focused, do not give status updates, that is the past. Have discussions that lead you to make the necessary adjustments to achieve the company plan.
One of the best ways to increase the effectiveness of your meetings is to a appoint a great weekly team meeting facilitator. A great meeting facilitator will help you make sure that every voice gets heard, that action items are captured and that the meeting stays on track following the agenda. You can learn new facilitations skills with our free weekly meeting facilitation guide: 3 Steps to Ensure Your Meeting Will Be A Success.