Are you focused on how many hours your team is working or how much output and value they deliver? The true measurement of ROP is about how much value and output, not how many hours you are getting out of your people.
Tip: Focus on output not input!
Signs that you are more focused on input and not output:
- Jack got everything done, yet it still makes you mad when he leaves the office at 5pm. You find yourself asking why he does not strive to do even more!
- It's the weekend, you are enjoying yourself yet feel guilty that you are not working.
- What do you celebrate and reward? Employee of the month person worked 60+ hours a week, yet Jack who worked only 50 hours and delivered more results was not considered for the award.
Here are some tips to help you focus on output instead of input:
- Make a list of your top 3-5 things to do each day. When you complete them, you are done for the day. Celebrate your victory!
- Focus your discussions and time on the results that your team is supposed to deliver, not how they will deliver.
- Begin with the end in mind. Ask what success looks like and insist on a clear description of success before any team member begins work on their projects.