So, the question we get is "Where do I start to complete my One Page Strategic Plan? I want to do it right and I want it to be complete." The answer may be based on what you need to accomplish in the short-term term. Are you trying to build your team or Top Grade the organization? If so, you may want to discover and document your Core Values first. This will allow you to hire the right people that will fit into your culture and be aligned with the goals of the business. You can do this during one of your monthly meetings or schedule an independent session with your team to define them. If you are trying to determine what markets to go after, you may want to spend time identifying the Sandbox you want to dominate. If you are not quite sure where to start, here is a suggested sequence to get you started:
- Discover and articulate your Core Values to guide your decisions.
- Define and state your Core Purpose you strive to achieve.
- Define and refine your Core Competencies that give you a competitive advantage and that you work to be the best in the world at.
- Develop your 10 - 25 year visionary BHAG (Big Hairy Audacious Goal).
- Determine the Sandbox you want to dominate in the next 3-5 years.
- Develop a Brand Promise to set you apart and lead your marketing message.
- Determine your X Factor to manage the chokepoint in your industry.
The sequence is just a suggestion and will vary based on your immediate needs. The key is to take the time and build the foundation. Fill in and document what you already have. It does not have to be perfect. Your plan should be a living breathing document, and you can wordsmith and solidify it as you work the plan, live with your developments and test your assumptions in the market. It may take months or years to nail down some of these areas satisfactorily. That’s okay; give yourself and your team permission to take the time to get it right. Being patient will pay off as you plan for the future and build the company you desire.
Good luck while you Execute for Growth.